Saturday, February 9, 2008

Is that Freegan Rock? Well, turn it up!!

christmas shopping
Maybe I'm a little late on the bandwagon but I just heard about "Freeganism" which is a movement -- shoot, nevermind. Here's what Wikepedia says:
Freeganism is an anti-consumerism lifestyle whereby people employ alternative living strategies based on "limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources." Freegans embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed."[1] The lifestyle involves salvaging discarded, unspoiled food from supermarket dumpsters that have passed their expiration date, but are still edible and nutritious. They salvage the food not because they are poor or homeless, but as a political statement.[2][3]
And I wanted to sign myself up, because I like to redefine myself as often as possible and jump on hip bandwagons like MySpace and Blogspot so I can feel, well, hip. NO ONE wants to appear out of the know. I really like the anti-consumerism/anti-corporate part about it because I like Mom & Pop shops and I hate competition and greed. Plus, waste really bugs me. But I'm not going to dumpster dive for food; THAT'S where I draw the line. I must come uup with my own name, my own made-up belief system that says all that stuff that Freegan says without garbage germs and I'm still allowed to eat a steak once in awhile. Hmm.

No comments: