Monday, January 5, 2009

My Flu Remedy...AKA: "The Sudafed Diaries"

I am not Greek (nor do I want a Big, Fat Anything) but I have played one on TV*, or rather, worked as a waitress in a Greek restaurant. It's the New Year and they say one of the keys of happiness is to be of service to others. So I'm releasing a time-tested recipe for a magical Greek soup called Avgolemono. It's either that or volunteer as a candy-striper at an old folks home and I just can't stand the smell of peed-thru pajamas, Pedia-Sur or the rotting-from-within decay.
So-o-o on that note, perhaps because of my hatred toward geriatrics I have been struck down by the flu (karma.) I've been dosing up on all the usual suspects: Cold-eze, AirBorne, Nyquil, echinacea and the aforementioned crack. But! I forgot about the magic elixer the Women-with-Mustaches swear by. So, I'll quit rambling and give you the recipe. It's easy and fun and I promise you your phlegm will dry up within a days time. Enjoy!
AVGOLEMONO
2 C. Chicken broth
1/3 C. long grain rice
-bring these to a boil and then cover & reduce heat. Cook on low for about 45 min. (about half way through cooking throw in a clove of garlic, chopped) or until the rice "splits." Turn off heat (duh).
2 eggs, whip or put in a blender until super fluffy. Add the juice of 1 lemon slowly.
Very, very slowly, add the warm chicken broth only (you don't want to make scrambled eggs) while blending. After you've added a lot of the broth (the rice is still in the pot) then pour all the egg/blender mixture back into the pot and bring all to a quick boil.
Serve right away. In about 48 hours you'll be ready to party all the time, party all the time 'cause my girl likes to party all the tiyyyme.
sniffles from a cold Pictures, Images and Photos

*Do be aware that I AM hopped up on a legal mixture of over-the-counter crystal meth so the references are linked rather loosely.

No comments: