Sunday, June 15, 2008

New Book, New Happy Hour...


So, in prepping for what may be a SERIOUS blog upcoming soon (hopefully things work out), I've decided to begin chronicling what I've already been doing since I first landed in "Keep It Weird" Portland. Taking a new book out on a date to a new Happy Hour. This week I went to Silk (http://www.silkbyphovan.com/) noted for it's yummy Vietnamese snacks and swank bar, all in white. My date was Chelsea Handler's new book, "Are you there, Vodka? It's me, Chelsea." At Silk, I ordered salad rolls and Pho soup, traditionally with the brisket. Someone said this was the best Vietnamese place in town but I have to say I'll be looking for others. I give it a B. The decor was cool and my Ginger Martini ($5) was good, the salad rolls ($4) had shrimp and pork, but I coulda done without the Wilbur. I believe Pho ($5) should be served with the rare brisket on the side, but no one's really down with augmenting what is all ready on the cheap, so it was a wee tough for my tastes. But for a total tab of $19 (OK, I had 2 drinks) I'm not gonna whine like Mrs. Roper wanting more sex from Stanley. I was satiated.
Ms. Handler's fun raunchy romp into a party girl's life at 30, however, was right up my alley. Vodka: her Life Partner, having sex with a red head and her love for midgets are the stand-out topics and I finished the book in a day. Easy read, v. v. funny and makes me feel better about my own wayward days gone by (as of yesterday).
The best line was about Big Red and upon getting ready to get busy, reached down to a massive bush of bright orange pubic hair on this dude that she likened to, "Having Carrot Top in a leg lock."
Carrot Top

No comments: